“Williston 101: Tip for Job seekers” contains some cautions if you plan to head out for the new gold rush.
My list of things to consider before getting on the road:
- housing is scarce – line something up before you go
- drug tests for initial employment and ongoing basis are very common
- living there is very expensive
- be prepared to wait – you probably won’t be working the first day (or few weeks) after you arrive
- the infrastructure hasn’t caught up with the population expansion – that means everything from restaurants, shopping, and doctor availabliity is difficult
The opportunities are astounding. But count the cost. And be prepared.