Why all these discussions of nuclear weapons, especially now?
Been wondering why I’m continuing my posts on nuclear weapons? Especially in light of the COVID-19 pandemic?
Here are the first few reasons that come to mind:
- Life continues. All of us, especially me, need to continue on with our lives. The current pandemic is going to be with us for a short while. There will be an echo in the next flu season. This COVID-19 bug is going to be around for a long time. We need to keep living.
- We survived the nuclear threat. With the pandemic hanging over our heads, perhaps it is helpful to refresh our memory that we made it through a horrible time of the Cold War (and we won). An upcoming post will speculate that the Soviet Union had a first-strike capability against the United States for many years. We did not have a first strike capacity against them.
- Bloggers should blog about what interests them. One of the fascinating things I learned early on in my blogging career and has been reinforced so many times since, is that a person should write about what is of interest. There is no way to guess what posts will grab interest of an audience. There is no surefire way to even grab an audience. Thus, I write about what is of interest to me. Some of my blogs have gathered an audience. Several have not.
- I’m interested in this topic. Having been in the missile business when I was on active duty, and being an amateur arm-chair historian, I have an ongoing interest in military topics. Lots of unclassified stuff is readily available on the ol’ internet.
- Defiance. In my own little itty-bitty way, I’m
flipping the birdstanding up to the virus, moving forward with life. (Yeah, that’s point one above, but worth repeating.) I may be staying at home, but I am not going to crawl into a hole in the ground and hide. Fear will not control my life.
So, I will continue this discussion.
If this topic grabs your interest, enjoy!